Corporates in the Global Energy Transition:
A user's guide to maximise your experience!
From May to October 2020, we are hosting five webcasts on corporate procurement of renewable energy in markets around the world. Each webcast will be hosted on the Hopin platform.
To ensure a smooth experience for all our participants, we have put together a user’s guide on how to use the Hopin platform, as well as tips on how to enhance your profile and answers to some frequently asked questions. Read this guide to make the most out of your participation at these webcasts!
Table of Contents
Registering and creating your profile
Registration is free for everyone to attend these webcasts. Once you complete your registration, you will receive a confirmation email with the link to join the event and further information on how to use the Hopin platform.
Click on the ‘Click to join’ button in this email and follow the steps below to create your profile for the event. Creating your profile is an important step to ensure that you can network with other attendees that are the most relevant to you to make the most out of the B2B and networking opportunities throughout the two days.
1. Select the ticket type that matches your profile
Once you click on the link in the confirmation email, you will be redirected to the homepage for the webcast on Hopin. You will be asked to select the ticket type that matches your profile. This is to maximise your experience as we will be able to match you with the most relevant attendees during the networking and business matchmaking sessions based on your profile.
2. Sign up for a Hopin account
To attend, you will need to create a free Hopin account. Enter the email address you used to register, or use your social media account including LinkedIn, Facebook and Google.
3. Edit your profile
Throughout the event, other attendees will see your profile and can request to network with you. To make sure that you create as many meaningful networking opportunities possible, we recommend completing your profile with information such as Job Title, Organisation, City, Email, Short Bio, and Social Media profiles. You can edit your profile at any time both prior and during the event.
Virtual Platform Features
Think of the Sessions area of Hopin as your conference stage, where opening remarks, presentations and roundtable conversations will be live-streamed. Like a live conference, there will be many opportunities for the audience to participate in the discussions, and you will be able to ask questions directly to our panellists through the chat feature.
Members of RE100, Global Wind Energy Council and Global Solar Council will also be able to access exclusive small-group discussions in the Sessions area, following the main webcast. These can be used for networking and discussing questions about the regulatory framework and market readiness.
2. Network with other participants
Plan Your Networking, In-app Messaging, and Private Video Calls
Check out who else is attending the webcast, and be prepared to make meaningful connections! You can explore who else is attending the event by clicking on the ‘People’ tab. You can also search by keywords including company name or title, and see the professional background information of other attendees. This platform allows you to message other attendees, book meetings, and invite them for a video call.
Participate in “coffee-in-the-lobby” conversations
The Networking area automates the discovery of new connections based on your profile via one-on-one meetings that are similar to a FaceTime call for a set time of 30 seconds to 3 minutes. You can leave at any time and be given the option to click the Connect button during the call to exchange contact information.
Watch the video tutorial below to see the platforms networking features in action!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
No, each webcast in this series is free for anyone to attend!
Once you join the event, you will see a navigation toolbar on the left side with. On this toolbar, you will see a button for “Networking”. During the designated “Networking” hour, click on the “Networking” button and you will have the opportunity to be matched up with another attendee and have a 1:1 video chat for up to 5 minutes.
You can also message other attendees directly, share contact information, and book meetings by clicking on the “People” button and search for keywords such as company name, city and/or job title.
Members of RE100, GWEC and GSC will have exclusive access to small-group discussions in the Sessions area following the main webcast and presentations. These discussions can also be helpful for networking purposes.
Yes you can! You can submit your questions in the discussion next to the livestream and the moderator will pick up these questions, subject to the time available in each session.
All sessions will be recorded and published on GWEC’s YouTube Channel, so if you are unable to view the livestream you will still have access to all the content. However, we recommend attending the live sessions when possible so that you are able to interact with other attendees and ask the panel your questions.
On the left-hand navigation toolbar on the Hopin Platform, you will see the different areas of the virtual platform. The “Sessions” area is where you will be able to watch and interact with the panel discussions.
No, you don’t have to download any software to attend these webcasts. The event uses the Hopin platform which works on any Internet browsers, however we recommend using Chrome for the best virtual event experience.
You can access the Hopin platform via your internet browser of choice. We usually recommend attending the events through your laptop/PC as we don’t guarantee it will work on mobile.
Note: requires recent versions of Chrome and Firefox, and Safari 11 or greater
See below for a full list of browser compatibility to attend the event:
If you are getting a 500 error or a 404 error message, try:
- Refreshing your web browser
- Restarting your web browser
- Clearing your browser cache
- Try a different type of web browser
- Sign out of your Hopin account and sign back in
- Restart your computer
- Most importantly, ensure that your web browser is updated and compatible based on the system requirements
If you’re unable to join a session or a stage, it could be due to one of the following reasons:
- The moderator or organiser is not allowing you to enter the session or stage.
- Your browser may not be giving Hopin access to your audio or video devices. You cannot join a session or stage without your AV. Please make sure that you have given consent via browser permission for Hopin to access your camera and microphone. If you don’t receive a pop up asking for your consent, this could be a bug issue (please follow steps below to work around) or if not, it could potentially be a security blockage by your company. If your company computer is blocking your access to the sessions, we recommend try on your personal computer.
- To resolve the potential bug issue, try the following solutions: refresh your browser, close all your other browsers and exit from applications that might be accessing your AV such as Zoom, Webex, Gotomeeting etc, clear your cache and browsing history, and/or restart your computer.
When accessing Hopin for the first time, you will be prompted to select your audio and video device so that people can hear and see you at the event. If you are unable to select your AV options, you may need to give browser permissions for Hopin to access your AV devices.
To give browser permissions in Chrome:
- In the URL bar, find the video camera icon and click it. A dropdown module will appear
- Make sure your camera and microphone are allowed for https://hopin.to./
You can also check to see if Hopin has access to your AV devices this way:
- In your browser, click Chrome
- Go to Preferences
- Under Advanced, select Privacy and Security.
- Find Site Settings
- Under Site Settings, locate Camera and Microphone
- Hopin should be one of the approved sites.
Hopin user experience demo
How to network in Hopin