Spotlight Market | Australia
GWEC'S GLOBAL MARKETS THEATRE AT WINDENERGY HAMBURG
On Friday 5th August 2022, Australia’s Minister for Climate Change and Energy, the Honourable Chris Bowen announced that the Australian Government is taking the next steps in creating a new renewable energy industry, by announcing six proposed regions that have world-class offshore wind energy potential.
The first of these areas will be in Gippsland in Victoria, where the State Government has already announced targets of up to 9GW of offshore wind by the early-2040s. The other regions for offshore wind energy projects include: The Pacific Ocean region off the Hunter in NSW, The Pacific Ocean region off the Illawarra in NSW, The Southern Ocean region off Portland in Victoria, The Bass Strait region off Northern Tasmania, The Indian Ocean region off Perth/Bunbury, WA.
In this session, representatives from the Australian Government will join with the industry’s leading developers with an active interest in the first round of projects in the market. The panellists will discuss, among other things:
- What does the announcement of six zones mean for offshore wind in Australia?
- Will Gippsland be ready to go by 2028?
- What are the biggest barriers and opportunities for the market?
- Will New Zealand and Australia form a standalone region?
- How does the supply chain view these announcements?